Monday, June 2, 2008

A Sermon & A Quote

I have two things that I would like to share with you today: The first is an excerpt from the book A Cabinet of Choice Jewels, written in 1669 by Thomas Brooks. This was the first thing I saw this morning when I logged into my email and I couldn't help but wonder what the church would be like if we all (myself included) were to sincerely pray this prayer every day of our lives. If we are truly living the Christian life this should be the deepest desire of our heart - to be completely free of all sin and totally committed to holiness - no matter what it costs. In Hebrews we read that without holiness we will not see God (Hebrews 12:14), so as you read this excerpt do so with an attitude of prayer and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal any sin that needs to be forsaken today, and then do it.

"Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin."
Psalm 51:2

If the Lord would say to a gracious Christian: "Ask what
you will, O Christian--and it shall be granted to you."
The answer would be: "Lord, rid me of my sins! Lord, take
away my iniquities! Lord, mortify my corruptions! Lord,
whoever lives--let these lusts die! Lord, drown these
Egyptians in the red sea of your Son's blood, who have
so violently and unweariedly pursued after the blood of
my precious soul! Lord, kill and crucify all these sinful evils
which have killed and crucified the Lord of life and glory!
Lord, my carnal reason, and flesh and blood, would gladly
have such and such pleasurable sins, and such and such
profitable sins, indulged and spared. But, Lord, the earnest,
the ardent desires of my soul, are that I may be rid of them!"
And thus, every gracious soul is more willing to be rid of
his sins--than he is to keep his sins.
A sick man is not more willing to be rid of his disease,
nor a beggar of his nasty lousy rags, nor a prisoner
of his chains--than a gracious soul is willing to be rid
of his lusts!

"Hide Your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity."
Psalm 51:9
Thomas Brooks (1669)



The second thing I have today is a sermon that I happened upon this morning that talks about the heretical teachings of Open Theism. I am not sure where Brian Branam stands on the Doctrines of Grace, but he makes it clear in this sermon where he stands on this subject. But his sermon is not in any way an attack on open theists, he simply shows from the Bible why this view of God is contradictory to both Scripture and to Historical Christianity. I encourage you to take a few minutes to grab you Bible and prayerfully follow along.

We Believe in God (Open Theism)




Print This Post

No comments: